“Love must be learned and learned again and again; there is no end to it. Hate needs no instruction but waits only to be provoked.”
– Katherine Anne Porter
How do you keep love alive? I've only been married 5 years so I'll admit I'm still fairly new to this marriage thing (that's one reason we rely on God's word and the truths found in it so much... we don't have nearly as many experiences to draw from as some of you!)
So far we've established that love is something we learn, not something we find. It's hard and takes work. Today I want to ask the question, how do you keep love alive? Here are a few things we do, or have discovered, over the last five years to keep our love alive and growing:
- Get Away Overnight - this has become even more important with kids. Every year on our anniversary we get away for two nights ALONE.
- Date Nights - we try to do at least 1-2 of these a month. No kids, no one else (sorry friends!) Just Courtney and I.
- Book - we try to go through one book a year together on the topic of marriage. Some we've done in the past are: Sacred Marriage, 5 Love Languages, His Needs Her Needs.
- Other Couples - we try to be intentional about spending time around other couples that are making it. We glean wisdom from their relationship and know they are a positive influence on us.
- Pray Together - Tony challenged us all to do this a few weeks ago. I'll be honest, Courtney and I were really good at this before kids. We have not been doing this very consistently since, it's something we're working on.
- Worship & Communion Together - Unfortunately my role as pastor, and Courtney as a mom of three kids and volunteering almost every Sunday at Life Church makes this difficult. However, about 1-2 times a month we do get to worship together on a Sunday and take communion together. We cherish these times.
So, how do YOU keep love alive in your relationship? I'm looking forward to your responses as this is a question Courtney and I are asking ourselves. We look forward to learning from you.